Translate

Professor Patty Cake ® Professional Pointer #4- Make Your 2019 New Year's Resolutions a Reality

Welcome to 2019!  I am so glad that have stopped by the Professor Patty Cake ® blog. The new year is here and I am sure if you are like 99% of the population, you have made at least one New Year's resolution. Whether it be to get healthy, find a new job, or streamline your classroom procedures, the new year offers you the opportunity to reflect on the past year and make resolutions for improvement. In the spirit of transparency, I thought it would be helpful if I shared my 2019 New Year's resolutions and the quick process that I use for goal planning and monitoring. This method has been highly effective for me and has helped many PPC clients achieve their New Year's resolutions.

Professor Patty Cake's ® 2019 New Year's Resolutions
1) Increase PPC social media presence and be more consistent with posting on the PPC blog
2) Make "wellness" a priority
3) Giving myself permission to say "No Way" * Stay tuned for an upcoming blog on this topic!*

Years ago when I was a school principal, I developed the RICE process to help myself with goal planning and monitoring. When I say RICE, I am not talking about the food, but now that I think of it I could go for some shrimp fried rice. Really though, in this case, RICE stands for: Reflect, Identify, Commit, and Evaluate. A description of each step and the questions that I asked myself  as I move through each step are below:

1) Reflect: Which areas (personal, professional, and or project-focused etc.) have been successful for me? Which areas have been unsuccessful and are in need of improvement?

2) Identify: What barriers, internal and external, have prevented me from achieving success. What existing supports/tool are available to help me reduce/mitigate/eliminate barriers so that I can achieve success?

3) Commit: What actions am I willing to commit to? What are the deal breakers and non-negotiables that I am unwilling to commit to?

4) Evaluate: How will I keep myself motivated to follow through with established actions? How will I hold myself accountable for completing these actions? What is my pivot point if I find that my actions are ineffective? How will I know when my goal/resolution has been achieved?

To show how the RICE process works, I will walk you through it using one of my New Year's resolutions.

Resolution #1- Increase PPC social media presence and be more consistent with posting on the PPC blog.

1) Reflect:
Which areas (personal, professional, and or project-focused etc.) have been successful?
  • The PPC client base has increased two-fold in the last few years.
  • We are averaging 5,000+ blog views/month.
  • New partnerships and modes for communicating with potential followers and clients have been established.
Which areas have been unsuccessful and are in need of improvement?
  • There has been a significant reduction in the number of blog and social media posts during 2018
2) Identify: 
What barriers, internal and external, have prevented me from achieving success. 
  • I was overextended and lacked time to devote to blog and social media
  • I had an erratic schedule and a lack of consistency in work and childcare schedules.
  • My "people pleasing" nature led me take on more and more projects/jobs because I feared I was letting people down if I didn't do so. 
What existing supports/tool are available to help me reduce/mitigate/eliminate barriers so I can achieve success? 
  • My youngest child has started preschool and I have family supports available to help with childcare.
  • We moved into a new house with a dedicated office so I can work from home when I am unable to go to PPC headquarters.
  • I have financial security and resources available to obtain additional staffing and devote more of my time to social media and the PPC blog.
3) Commit: 
What are the actions that I am willing to commit to? 
  • I will invest in people, products, and services to help me streamline/delegate my workload so I can devote more time to social media and the PPC blog
  • I will build a tribe of supporters and partners who understand and are willing to assist me in achieving my resolution.
  • I will be mindful of my time management and workload.
  • I will create realistic boundaries and stick to them.
  • I will develop a weekly schedule that optimizes productivity and reduces stops and starts throughout the day
  • I will scheduling designated time daily/weekly to devote to blog writing and social media posting.
What are the deal breakers and non-negotiables that I am unwilling to commit to in my pursuit of improvement?
  • I will not sacrifice my health or engage in workaholic behavior to achieve my resolution.
4) Evaluate:
How will I keep myself motivated to follow through with established action steps?
  • I will divide larger tasks into smaller actions and develop mini incentives to reward follow-through.
  • I will share success with my tribe.

How will I hold myself accountable for completing each action step?
  • I will track/chart progress and success monthly.
  • I will share my goals with my followers/colleagues and schedule regular check-ins to report progress. 
What is my pivot point if I find the action steps are ineffective?
  • If after 2 months of following these steps, I am unable to increase my social media presence by 20% and meet my monthly blog target, I will make an adjustment to my plan.
How will I know when my goal has been achieved?
  • I will have increase my social media presence by 50% and have at least 1 blog posted/month during 2019.
I encourage you to take a moment and apply the RICE process to your own New Year's resolutions. As always, the Professor Patty Cake ® Consulting, L.L.C. staff and I thank you for reading the PPC blog and wish you much success this year! If you like what you have just read, hit the subscribe button on the right so you will be the first to know when a new PPC post is available.

Hello 2019! I've got my #BossBabe #LVPlanner #Starbucks and I am ready to go!! 
Need career coaching or a speaker for your next event? Visit us at www.professorpattycake.net or call 1-866-932-4454 today!


# Hashtags & Labels

Show more